What do I need to get started?
A device for making a video call, such as a smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam and speaker (often built into laptops)
A reliable internet connection – wired or WiFi or mobile data. If you can watch a video online, your connection should be good enough for a video call
The Google Chrome, Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge web browser
A private, well-lit area for your consultation
How to make a call
Watch our video to help you on your video consultation journey.
Open Google Chrome, Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge browser. Enter the website address your service has given you (for example, in your appointment letter) into the browser bar. On your service’s website you should see a “start video call” button. Click this button
After you have followed the link provided to you by your healthcare providers, you will be asked to enter a few details (name, date of birth and a contact telephone number) before you can join the call.
These details are only used to allow the clinician to identify the right person is joining the call. After the video call, these details will be deleted.
The system checks you have everything in place to make a video call. All calls involve an internet check. The system checks you have a speaker, microphone and video: on some devices this is automated, or you may be asked to click “continue” or “yes”. If asked, allow access to your microphone and video
Enter your details: name, date of birth and the phone number where you can be reached during the call. Tick the small box to agree the terms and conditions. Your service will then give you some information: please read this and press “start call” again to continue
Before the call begins, you will see information similar to the list below, however, this may alter depending on your GP practice service.
Example of information presented to callers before they enter a call to the Waiting Rooms:
ONLY PROCEED WITH YOUR VIDEO CONSULTATION IF IT HAS BEEN ARRANGED WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR CLINIC/SURGERY.
- This is NOT an emergency service. In an emergency phone 999.
- This call is not being recorded.
- Everyone attending the consultation with you will be introduced.
- Your video will open in a new window.
- If you experience any issues, click the Refresh button.
During your call:
- Refresh button (top right-hand corner).
- Avoid pointing the camera towards a window or bright light.
- To select a different camera or microphone, click the camera icon in the top-right of the browser window select the relevant devices, and then click the Refresh button.