Video Consulting Macmillan Speech & Language Therapy Service- Hywel Dda UHB
This project used Video Consulting technology to improve speech therapy services for patients with head and neck cancer in rural Wales. The project was funded temporarily by Macmillan as a three year Pilot.
- Lessons learnt
Access to dedicated VC equipment in suitable clinical environment. Carmarthen, Withybush and Llanelli have shared use of Telestroke Video Consulting equipment.
The service concluded when enough upskilled staff in Hywel Dda were able to manage head and neck cancer patients locally so they no longer needed the specialist video consultation model from the specialist team in Swansea.
The broad aims of the original project were to:
• Improve communication between primary and secondary care;
• Clarify patient pathways;
• Implement network clinical priorities and commissioning frameworks for each cancer site;
• Ensure better integration of multidisciplinary teams:
• Improve joint commissioning and collaborative working